Thursday 28 June 2018

Restarting God in the Garden

The Editorial in the July 2018 issue of Newslink, the diocesan magazine for the United Dioceses of Limerick & Killaloe, which I edit.

Editorial - God in the Garden

What a wonderful world we live in, overflowing with the diversity of living things, filled with beauty at every scale from the gigantic to the minute, and able to feed us all if we use it as we should. It is our Garden of Eden - God has made it for us and all his creatures, he continually remakes it through evolution, and in the words of Genesis he sees it to be good.

One of the delights of summer for me is to spend time in the garden - my wife Marty and I have our own parts, since 2 gardeners into 1 garden does not go. Other pleasures are visiting other people’s gardens, and botanising in wild places like the Burren, a natural rock garden. Such places are miniature versions of God’s good world.

A view of Marty's labyrinth garden with oriental popies and aquilegia 
in the foreground and the wysteria arch in the background.

Back in 2006 I started a blog called ‘God in the Garden’ in which I celebrated the glories of God’s creation including my garden, and mused on our place as Christians within it. Five years later I abandoned it and have posted nothing for years, but like all things digital it still lives on in cyber space – you can find it at godinthegarden.blogspot.com.

I have decided to restart it and set myself the goal of posting something at least weekly as a small spiritual discipline, part of my commitment to the Community of Brendan the Navigator. I know that God is in the Garden, and I pray that in words and pictures I may praise him and reflect his glory, however dimly. Do have a look if you have any interest in the idea, and feel free to comment.

God bless, Joc Sanders


No comments: